Sunday 1 April 2012

States agree that Education system isn't good enough

Why do the States continue to support our colleges and provide scholarships to them for our top pupils?
 

It is almost an admission of failure.
 

We cannot provide your bright child with a suitable education so we are going to pay for them to go into a system which will do what we can’t.
 

This is wrong.
 

It might have proved the case in the dim and distant past but it is no longer the case as results from our Grammar school prove.
 

So why do we continue the scholarships?
 

Let us stop it now and while we’re at it, let’s look at State funding for private education in general.
 

I’ve no problem with people wanting to place their children into the private education system. I do however have a problem with the states system contributing towards the cost.
 

The argument for support has always been that the private schools are taking some of the burden off of the state system and so should be compensated.
 

Why?
 

Once the Mulkerin Report takes effect we will have a perfectly adequate education system available to all and supported by all through taxation.
 

If you choose not to use it, then that’s up to you.
 

I’m happy for our States to support a public transport system even though I choose not to use it. I don’t ask the States to compensate me for the cost of running my car though.
 

There are no longer any sound educational reasons to prefer a college education over a state education.
 

There may be other reasons for wanting your child to go to college but none which would sway me towards contribution towards the cost.
 

I know the subject has been debated recently and rejected and I wonder why.
 

I also wonder how many of those who voted that day went to our private schools or sent their children there.
 

Not that it will have affected their decision. Just wondering.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've something constructive to share then here's where to do it.